How to Change Hair Color in Photoshop?
In this easy hair color changing tutorial, we will look at how to change hair color using Photoshop. Keep in mind that although it is fairly easy to change light hair to a darker color, it can be harder to change very dark hair to light in Photoshop.
If you follow along with the hair changing technique below, you will be able to change hair color in Photoshop like a pro.
- The first thing you will open the image in Photoshop that you have chosen for this project.
- Next you will do go to the Quick Selection Tool from the toolbar.
- Then, you will make selection of the hair in the photo using the Quick Selection Tool. After you click on the Quick Select Tool, you will see a small cross-hair. You will use this to select the entire area that the hair covers.
- Make sure that you smooth out any rough areas, so it will look as smooth as possible. Then you will click OK.
- Next you will duplicate the background.
- Then you will go to the top of the screen and click the box that says refine edge.
- Another screen will open and you will go to the viewing mode, then click “ On Layers,” and the entire area that you did not select, becomes a pattern of grey and white pixels.
- Now you may want to touch up any rough areas along the inside edge of the hair selection.
- Then adjust the edge (smooth, feather, contrast etc.) in the “Refine Edge” box.
- Then go to the bottom box of the “Refine Edge” drop down box, and go to the Output section and un-check the small box there. Where it says, “output to,” you will enter selection in there and then click OK.
- Now go to the bottom of the layer to the Adjustments area and click on Selective Color.
- A box will open and there will be the four basic color schemes in front of you; cyan (blue), magenta (red), yellow, and black.
- Then select Default and Neutrals in Selective color box.
- Begin by going to the black line. Watch as you bring it up or down and hair gets lighter or darker. So take it down to about -28 on the black.
- Then adjust the yellow bar to about +32.
- Then go to the Magenta and see what happens when you slide the bar to the right or left. If you go to the right, the hair color will turn quite red.
- But if you move it too far to the right, the hair will turn green. OK, so now go back down to the bar marked “black.” You are able to change the lightness or darkness of the hair tone here.
- So, for example, If you move the slider to the far left the hair will turn quite light blond in color.
- But if you move it to the far right, the color will get quite dark.
- If you adjust the cyan and yellow bar at the top, you can add blue highlights to the hair color as well.
You can do many different color combinations; it just depends on what you are looking to do. You will find that you can do much of the changes in hair color by using the color selection and simply moving the sliders until you are happy with the results. You can do this technique quickly using Photoshop keyboard shortcut.
Best of luck with your color editing.